Zesty Ginger, Carrot and Orange Smoothie
This week's smoothie recipe pairs fresh carrot juice and sweet oranges with zesty ginger to create an invigorating smoothie that will make your taste buds sing. Ground flaxseed, rich in anti-inlammatory omega-3 fatty acids, is added to the mix to further boost the nutritional value of this power smoothie.
The basic recipe below uses banana for creaminess, but you can also replace the banana with any of the other ingredients in the Tweak It! section provided at the bottom of this page (this box allows you to create 7 variations of the basic recipe, one for each day of the week).
- 1 orange
- 1 organic banana (Day 1)
- 1 half-inch knob of fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh carrot juice
- Water, as needed
- Peel the orange, banana and ginger root. If you're using another ingredient from the Tweak It! box below to replace the banana, wash and peel the fruit as needed.
- Use a fine grater or a sharp knife to mince the ginger.
- Toss the orange, banana, minced ginger, flaxseed, crushed ice and carrot juice into a Vitamix or another high-powered blender.
- Secure the lid, and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Check the consistency. If the smoothie is too thick, add a little bit of water, and blend again.
- Enjoy immediately.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5||Day 6||Day 7|
avocado, peeled & pitted
cooked, cooled sweet potato